Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Summer Girl in Winter

You know how there are always articles in fashion magazines in the winter spouting, 'WEAR YOUR SUMMER CLOTHES IN THE WINTER-NOooo ITS NOT A STUPID IDEA!'
Well, today, since I'm feeling so bleah I thought I would try it out. I took out my ruffliest, summeriest dress and wore some sweater tights underneath and put a giant cableknit sweater over it and...its actually...super comfy! I wouldn't wear it in a blizzard, but maybe even in winter this could work. If you wore tall socks over the tights, and some tall boots...

I'm not sure how I feel about the belt. And I wish it weren't quite so match-tastic, but maroon and grey look super beautiful together.

After this, I'm heading to the doctor to make sure I don't have strep throat...last night i went on webMD and freaked myself out. I have a lot of the symptoms of it. I've never had it before, I'm strictly the ear infection type.

Oh! I never told you about the FIT visit. The whole thing took a couple of hours. But it was really great, and I usually hate stuff like that. The campus seemed small but fun and super cozy. They have great facilities and they even have a little boutique store where the students sell their work, and order stuff themselves to learn how thats done. I just really loved the intimate, friendly vibe. Afterwards I visited the FIT museum, which is free.
If you live in the NYC area, its just a fun little thing to visit if you're on the West side near 27 street.
Right now, the exhibit is about Japanese fashion, the deconstructionists, etc. So if you like Comme des Garcons, Jun Watanabe (i'm a horrible speller) and funky Japanese street style, you should definitely check it out! I looooove Japanese culture, so I was in heaven. Its soooo great to be able to see the garments close up so you can see the textures and the construction. Heaven.

They also have an exhibit on Eco Fashion (I think it just ended, unfortunately) but I was kind of disappointed in it. Not to be mean, but it was all ugly stuff. And thats the stereotype of eco clothing; but the thing is, organic and reused garments don't have to be, and a lot of times are not. I wish they had a better range of the eco fashion at the museum. They could have made better choices.

See now I know this is shapeless but I prefer it without the belt. I am not quite at the point yet in my fashion evolution where i wear huge oversized things with no definition and feel chic. A lot of models and fashion-y bloggers do, and it looks great on them.

I am at the point where I am getting over the idea that tight and fitted are not the same thing, and i am trying to wear more things that actually fit me and feel comfortable. In the store I will try things on and then when I get home I realize they're too big sometimes. My comfort zone is everything two sizes too big, but I think it will get better.
It doesn't help that clothing sizes are not very consistent.

This is how i feel today.

I'm taking pix inside cuz its rainy out.


Sigh. This is so pretty. I love the muted gray near such vibrant colors.

Outfit details:
shoes: daffy's
tights: h&m
dress: h&m
sweater: thrifted
belt: thrifted



4 comments:

  1. I am sorry you are feeling so blecky in this outfit, but I assure you the only thing that makes oversized sweaters over frilly summer dresses and bright stockings feel right, is feeling right about them. I think it looks perfect and beautiful together! You are right, the muted gray looks wonderful up against the floral, and those tights are just the right pop, while the black boots ground the whole thing. Now just feel like a million buck and own that ensemble and you have a complete look! Also, thanks for sharing your epiphany with me about my neutral palette and my surroundings. True! I am trying to harmonize with my surroundings! Interestingly I associate dirt and dry weeds with beauty, and I don't really try to fight that since I am surrounded by it all the time. We have HUGE picture windows in my house and the landscape may as well be another family member. So you are very spot on there. On the other end of the spectrum, I never see colors like Royal purple, red, or pink day to day, unless it shows up in smatterings in a passing sunset, so I almost never wear those colors. It feels unnatural. I am sure if I was surrounded by flowers and ferns, in say hawaii or some place like that, my predisposition to these browns and mustard may shift to more royal brights. Who knows! Anyway, thank you for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the belt with it a lot! It could def work in the winter too, get some leg warmers maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a cute outfit and you make cute faces :) I just wanted to say hi and that you have a lovely blog, maybe we could follow each other!

    - the runaway

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really good look! I love the belted sweater. It looks very English, circa 1942.

    ReplyDelete